Friday, October 8, 2010

National Geographic's Taboo: Fat


In much of the West thin is beautiful, and fat is taboo. But a new health epidemic is sweeping the planet: obesity. We follow the story of Alan, who at 650 pounds is imprisoned in his own bedroom. In Mauritania mothers risk the health of their daughters by force-feeding them to fatten them for marriage. In the U.S.A., Deidra, a 450 pound model is fat, proud and happy. And 24 "plus size" women push the ideals of beauty when they compete in the Miss Plus America Pageant.



Just watched National Geographic Taboo: Fat. NGC is famous for producing a non-partial view of the topics they present. So I was not sure of what to feel when I watched this. I guess it's up to individual's point of view. I feel sad for Alan the 650 pounds guy, angry at the mother force feeding her little girl and I must admit I am slightly confused about the Miss Plus contestant. I can't help thinking being obese can't be healthy? I'd love to celebrate a woman's curves or fullness but having high blood pressure, diabetes and knees buckling over your weight ? It's not something to be happy about.

A few points that I thought was interesting:

  • Technology is helping us to be fat - people hardly walk to anywhere, opting for a car or the bus. I heard people are not overweight in France because they walk a lot.
  • A third of americans are overweight and this trend is making it's way to the other side, China.
  • Our bodies are made to store fat and not lose it. This is a light bulb moment for me, eating healthy food is easier than stuffing your face and work hard trying to have it off.
  • Lastly, sporadic dieting. Sounds familiar?


Recommended tips: How to eat right with 'non-food' eating habits

No comments:

Post a Comment